Friday, June 17, 2011

Picazzo's Organic Italian Eatery: il cielo sulla terra

I love Pizza.  I love Pasta.  I love these two foods more than any other food on earth.  Seriously.  You can imagine the first thoughts going through my head finding out that my two favorite foods I LOVE would be off limits.  Ugh............the travesty!  Oh, the injustice!

Then I began searching for places which carried GF pizza crust.  I knew it was out there.  It didn't sound very appetizing, but it's all I can have, so I searched for all the reviews.  I read and researched every one I could find.  I was pretty sure that out of all of the competition one stood head and shoulders above the rest.

Was I right?  Well, I won't know for a while due to the fact that it's the first GF Pizza I've tried.  I seriously doubt that any other GF Pizza will ever top it though.  Oh, yeah it is THAT GOOD!  Quite honestly, it's one of the better Pizza's I've ever had!  GF or NOT.

Where is this place?  Picazzo's Organic Italian Kitchen: Tempe, AZ.  They have six Arizona locations but this one was inviting, clean (bathrooms spotless), service spectacular and food was delectable.  This place understands GF issues and you feel perfectly fine ordering from them.  They have separate ovens and preparation areas for all GF foods, and so many eating options for the entire family, GF or not.

We started with the GF Organic Garlic Cheese Bread.  Such a great start!  It is served with Olive Oil with a few very tasty olives in it.  It could have been a little more "garlicky" for me but it was still extremely good.  Light and airy with a terrific amount of Cheese on it.  It didn't last long on anyone's plate.

I had the Diavalo Specialty Gourmet Pizza.  The GF comes only in Medium size.  The crust is quit thin but very tasty.  It consists of an Organic tomato sauce, with mozzarella, pepperoni, red and yellow bell peppers, caramelized onions, andouille sausage and red pepper flakes (I did LESS Diavolo and omitted the red pepper flakes!)  The sausage still had a little kick to it but not overpowering.  Divine; pure and simple.

The Hubs had the Pepperoni, Sausage and Ricotta on Picazzo's Original Crust (not GF) and was extremely happy with his choice.  The Mother in Law ordered a Half order Natural Chopped Italian Salad Which had so much meat in it she was shocked!  Pepperoni, smoked ham, and salami.  It also lettuce,  garbanzo beans, organic tomatoes, a significant amount of fresh mozarella, black olives, pepperoncini, Parmesan, GF croutons and Italian Dressing.  Completely GF, huge for a half order and looked amazingly fresh! The child was quite happy with a small cheese pizza!

We then finished the meal with a few desserts.  Yes, GF too! I brought most of mine home.  A skillet Brownie.  It's about 6 inches around with non dairy organic ice cream and organic chocolate sauce!  Joy and Bliss rolled into one! 

This will be a "Go To" place for sure.  Probably only for The Hubs and me, due to the pricing, but what a date night!  I can have Pizza!  It's a little "Pizza Heaven on Earth!"

No comments:

Post a Comment