Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beginning My Journey.....

I have always had problems with my "gut."  Whether it is an upset stomach, diarrhea,  or severe constipation, I have been through it all.  A close relative was once told she had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) so I just assumed that I, too, had the issue.

As of a few years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, a form of Hypothyroidism.  I then assumed that my severe constipation had a direct correlation to it.  The constipation was getting so bad that I tried everything in the book to get relief.  First, all I had to do was eat spinach or salad and within an hour I was able to go.  Then that stopped working and Prune juice took it's place.  Until that stopped working and I tried stool softeners, all forms of fiber (which made me so sick!) and finally I went to the doctor.

I had a friend with Celiac Disease and did some research.  My husband laughed and said that he read an article about all the people going gluten free and said that only 5% of all people actually have the disease while everyone else is just making money off of all the people thinking they have it.  I decided to have the doc run a Celiac blood test and waited around.  While I was waiting I cut all gluten from my diet.  This took awhile to get perfected as I learned the places that gluten can hide.

I finally received the news that my gluten test came back as positive.  I most probably have Celiac Disease.  The good news is that I am getting my body back to normal.  The bad news is I now have to figure out this new life of mine.  Come along on my journey....it may prove quite interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment