Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Jewel's Bakery and Cafe Review!

As a person with celiac I think I miss being able to walk into a restaurant and not have to only choose from a select few gluten free items, but then having to worry about cross contamination and gluten knowledge of the staff.  Well, at Jewel's that is a thing of the past because everything is gluten free!

I have been a customer of Jewel's Bakery for about two years now.  Julie Moreno, the owner, started in her kitchen cooking up the baked goods that made my life bearable as newly diagnosed with  celiac.  I think I truly would have laid down and cried if I hadn't found her!  (Okay, full disclosure here:  I did lay down and cry when I found out.  But then I found her stuff and life became better!)  She began to bake gluten free when her daughter was diagnosed with celiac.



Mom and I became devout followers.  We purchased cupcakes, cookies and brownies.  Got custom cakes for all special events and were ecstatic when she offered cooking classes to learn your way around the gluten free lifestyle!

Julie was already delivering her goods to various bakeries and restaurants, adding some convenience stores to her list only made her desire to have her own restaurant even more of a goal.  Well, her goal has become a reality with the opening of Jewel's Bakery and Cafe!

The business, located at 4041 E. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85018 is in the 40 Palms Shopping Center.  The interior is an eclectic melange of White tile and a cute assortment of chairs and tables.  It's the perfect combination of hard and soft surfaces.  The menu is displayed on overhead signs and chalk boards tout the food and donut specials. They are open from 7 a.m. till 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (lunch taking over at 11:00 a.m.) Then open weekends for brunch 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.



There is a walk up counter where you place your order.  Of course, you must pass by the dessert case on your way through the line (excellent marketing ninja is she!) which means you will be getting some treats boxed up to take home along with your meal because I guarantee you that you cannot go past this case without purchasing!  She also has some of her frozen items in a case so stock up on whatever is available there as well. (Flatbread, ciabatta, etc.  It changes so grab it when you see it!)


The menu is an eclectic mix of fun and changes seasonally.  LOVE the Kale and Cheese Dip it's flipping fantastic and served with her flatbread.  I also love the house chips which has a Buffalo Sauce.



The Grilled Cheese has three different cheeses including a fantastic bleu and is served on a ciabatta bread.  You can get fries with it for a couple of extra bucks and they're worth it.  The Greek Chicken Salad is the best I've had anywhere and the Loaded Potato Flatbread???!!!!  Orgasmic.  Seriously.  Get some.  Get some NOW!!!!  You will be forever changed.  Not even kidding.



Oh, did I mention that she always uses the best ingredients around?  Yeah, some of her offerings include items from Queen Creek Olive Mill, Shreiners, McClendon's and Red Bird.  You will taste the difference.  The Iced Tea is made to order and worth the wait.



They just started a weekend brunch which I have not tried yet.  I want to try the sausage and biscuits or perhaps the house made chorizo soon.  Yes, I will eat some pork in the name of trying this menu!  Ha!

I was lucky enough to attend the Grand Opening last night and taste samplings from the menu.  I got to see her loving family including her daughter Justine who takes the pictures on her blog and website and who helps Manage the restaurant.


I want such good things for this venture!  It's so amazing being able to go into a restaurant and order ANYTHING off the menu!  If you call ahead ( 602-714-5243)  she can even have custom orders available for you to pick up.

Did I mention the donuts and the brownies and my favorite chocolate ganache cupcakes?  Oh, I did?  Well I had to give them one more mention because they are THAT good! Oh, did I also mention that the non gluten restricted family members go here willingly?  Yeah, they all love the food here! Go in and try everything on the menu and tell them Susan sent you.




1 comment:

  1. Julie is so creative that the range of her gluten free foods is delightfully diverse. You are in for a treat when you visit Jewel's Bakery and Cafe!!

    ReplyDelete