Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yummilicious Bean and left over ham from Christmas soup!

So I tweaked my Bean soup recipe a bit.  I am still eating only pork that makes it into my soups.  Bit of bacon, bits of ham.  Not really eating it but there is a bit in here.  Well, there are chunks for the pork eaters but it does have ham FYI!

Start crockpot with about half a carton of organic chicken stock (I use Kirkland from Costco exclusively.)  Then add your left over ham bone.  Mine always has about a pound or  two of ham still on it and I find this ideal.  Then add your other ingredients and turn the crockpot on high.

Other ingredients:
1 cup or so of organic cooked carrots, diced
3 cans great northern white beans
half of large sweet onion diced
1 small can mild green chili's
1 small garlic clove finely chopped
Frank's Red Hot to taste (I use a LOT)
cumin to taste
Ancho or other chili powder to your hotness
Himalayan Salt and a good finely ground pepper to taste.  I add this several times throughout cooking time.

Cook about three hours and then take 3/4th of ingredients out including stock and blend (or use immersion blender careful not to blend everything down.)  I use my vitamix and just click it on about four times.....taking care not to blend it much at all.  Take ham bone out and cut off the rest of the meat to chunks and discard bone, then take blended stuff and put it back along with the meat chunks, cut up.  Continue cooking in crock for another hour or so then turn to warm and add about a half stick of butter and a cup of half and half.  Allow this to sit on warm for another hour before eating.  This is just a bit spicy when I make it and totally yummilicious!  Does NOT last long in our home!

No comments:

Post a Comment