Friday, March 28, 2014

Pollo Fundido Enchilada Casserole!

Okay, I love Via Delosantos #16 with Fundido sauce here in Phoenix.  They are quite honestly the BEST enchiladas I've ever had.........but sometimes I can't eat there so I made my own version of this amazing meal.

There version has a cream sauce with a lot of jalapenos in it.......and I can handle them because they do something to them to make them spicy mild.  I think they roast them.  But my version uses green chili's because honestly I am scared of Jalapenos due to all my skin issues.  I roasted two of them and it was so stressful that I just say NO!  You can use them in any form if you want to but not me!

First you make this sauce.  I use my Vitamix because it's awesome and it has the SOUP setting which heats this stuff up quick!  You can use a bowl or the stove if you want to.  I'm sure all ways would work.

Sauce:

2 c. cream cheese
1 to 1.5 c. sour cream
1/2 c. half and half
half teaspoon cumin
half teaspoon ancho chili powder (or plain chili powder)
half teaspoon Heroic Herb and Spice Seasoning by California Gold BBQ Rubs**


I use a ceramic baking dish and I coat it with olive oil spray.  I then take unfried corn tortillas and put a single layer down over the oil.  Then I put a layer of chunked Queso Blanco (Mexican White Cheese) like Cacique or El Mexicano.  Then I put down about a cup of shredded mixed cheese.  Then a layer of the cream sauce and then another layer of the tortillas. 

FOR Vegetarians you can just keep layering these items but for Chicken lovers this is the magic!

Chicken layer: (You can cook this ahead of time or cook a big bunch to use in many different recipes and pull out enough for this dish!)

Cook two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts or about six thighs with half an onion, a small can of green chilis, add mushrooms here if you want to and about two cloves of garlic.  I then add another half teaspoon of the seasonings from above but include about a teaspoon of ground cumin to this step as well.  Again I use olive oil to cook in.  This mixture goes down next.....

Then you keep layering the tortillas with cheese and sauce making sure you have sauce as the top layer when finished.  Then just pop in the over at 325 for about 30 minutes.  Make sure you check it after about 20 minutes as you don't want to burn the top sauce.  

I forgot to take a picture because it looked so good that people were tearing into it before I could!  It's that good!

**I was given a free sample to use of this rub.  I am going to try several different recipes with it  so stay tuned!  It is salt and sugar free, GLUTEN FREE, and has no additives or preservatives.
More information on them can be found here: Heroic Rub


1 comment: