Saturday, October 19, 2013

"TL's Famous Fried Chicken" Reworked Gluten Free by Me!

I've been getting a lot of requests for my "TL" Gluten Free Fried Chicken Tenders recipe. Honestly, I only made the recipe gluten free........a family friend gave my sister the recipe years ago and it continues to be requested.   I made them more like chicken nuggets this time and I think the smaller size makes for better frying so I would suggest the approximate one and a half inch size nugget for even frying.

I always use peanut oil to fry in........yes, it is a lot more expensive BUT it tastes amazing and it hasn't made headlines for being bad lately so it's my GO TO oil for deep frying.  You can use what you want but the deliciousness factor may be affected.

Okay, get some really good boneless, skinless chicken breast.  I use Organic Free Range......you use what you are okay with.  You could probably use bone in chicken as well.  I don't.

A couple of hours before cooking, no more than a day before cut up your chicken and put in a gallon ziplock bag.  Squirt a few big squirts of Ranch Dressing ( I use Hidden Valley Original;  don't use the light as it is NOT gluten free) enough to cover all the chicken a few good shakes of Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Not a LOT just a "taste"!  You can use another type of Cayenne Sauce but I love Frank's.

Now it's time to add the seasoning to this ziplock of chicken.  The important thing to remember is to season in both steps, in the marinade and in the flour.   So you add a few shakes of garlic salt, white pepper (or regular but white is my favorite) and Ancho or Regular Chili Powder.  Season to your level.  Close up this ziploc and put in fridge until ready to cook.

Now get the flour ready.  Take another gallon ziplock and add your favorite brand of gluten free flour (and/or Arrowhead Mills or another brand of Baking Mix;  I've made it with both and either is fine!)  I start with a few cups of flour and then again add the same seasonings used before:  Garlic Salt, Pepper and Chili Powder.  If there's another seasoning you like then try it! You want to be able to see the seasonings a little bit in the flour to know you have enough.

Get your peanut oil to the correct temperature and take some of the chicken from the marinade into the flour bag.  Do as much as you can put in your oil to cook evenly.  Make sure you close the zip and shake the flour around with the chicken to evenly coat it.  Then add the chicken to the oil using tongs.

 Make sure you use a different pair of tongs to take the chicken out of the oil so you aren't contaminating the cooked chicken.  The gluten free flour will darken a bit more than normal flour so be prepared for that.......but don't worry!  It will NOT affect the taste!  Make sure the first few you do to cut in half to ensure it's cooked.  Cook it all up and see how fast it gets eaten!


I dip mine in bleu cheese dressing by Lighthouse.  You can use Ranch or gf Honey Mustard;  whatever you like.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. As a recipient of that tasty chicken, I can rave about its flavor!! So tasty and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete