Monday, March 4, 2013

Best Crockpot Meal EVER! Crockpot Lasagna....

The thing that I don't like about making lasagna is that it comes out kind of dry most of the time.  Well, when I saw the recipes for crockpot lasagna my first thought was:  YUCK!  But then I kept seeing it around the Net.  I have to admit it peaked my interest.  I love that it takes 2.5 hours on High and it's perfect!  I made it two different ways  and I like them both.  The whole thing is SO easy to personalize that I will tell you the two basic recipe ideas but you can use one or combine the layers you want to come up with YOUR signature lasagna!  So easy!

The first time I made it the "traditional red sauce way."  The second time I made a white lasagna.  Mix up the layers any way you want for the desired meal.

Put down a little  sauce of choice. This can be red sauce or white/bechamel sauce.  Then get out your lasagna noodles and just break it up dry to make a layer in the crockpot. (Mine is gluten free Rice, of course!)  Then do whatever layers you want!  Combine them for a fun version or stick to white or red sauce.

1. A layer consisting of ricotta (or for a creamier version I use cottage cheese), egg and Italian spices and/or fresh basil mixed up first.

2.  Meat of choice.  I use ground turkey with onion and red bell pepper but you could do hamburger, sausage or anything else you want.

3. White/Bechemal sauce:  Saute equal parts butter and flour till it smells nutty, then add milk.  When it gets thicker, add cheese if wanted. Yes, I like cheese!

4. Veggies Unlimited:  This layer is whatever veggies you want to put in a food processor and make it chunky or smooth.  I use mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, fresh garlic, fresh tomatoes and spinach.  You can use any veggies you like!  The more the merrier!

5. Red sauce;  homemade, jarred;  whatever floats your boat!  Four cheese, marinara, vodka sauce, there are a million different choices so make a new one each time!

6.  Total cheese layer.  I use mostly mozzarella but I like to include a little colby jack or other mild cheeses.  Fontina is really good!

Layer any way you want to just add noodles about every third layer or so.  Stop when you're out of noodles. (They come about 8 to 12 to a package and you use 2 to 3 per layer.........)

If you use mostly white layers, I will add some basic milk on top of the whole lot just to keep some moisture.  You could use chicken stock as well.  Make sure it's moist enough.  Then just put the lid on and make sure you check it at 2.5 hours on high.  Turn down to stay warm if the noodles are done.  That is it!  Enjoy!!!!


1 comment:

  1. And when I say flour I of course mean Gluten free flour! As I always do everything Gluten free!

    ReplyDelete